When we first watched the Game of Thrones series, we fell in love not only with the different characters but also with its scenic shooting locations. We were insanely in love with the series, the different characters, betting on who is right and who is wrong! We dreamt of exploring all the shooting locations of GOT and this dream and passion for travelling brought us to Croatia!
A four-hour beautiful drive from Budapest (where we currently live) landed us to an exotic and serene country CROATIA. The cities of Croatia are extremely beautiful. We majorly covered three cities Zagreb (the capital), Dubrovnik and Split. We fell in love with Croatia at the very first sight.
Apart from the amazing history, beaches and restaurants in Croatia, the next big thing is the Game of Thrones tour. We planned and went for our own version of the tour. We tried to cover most of the areas and loved the thrill and excitement of planning the entire tour.
Here are the lists of Game of Throne shooting locations which we covered in Croatia:
1. King’s Landing: The City walls of Dubrovnik gives the panoramic view of King’s Landing. The entire city can be viewed in from here. The best scene of season 6 is in the last episode when Cersei blows the entire Sept and watches everyone burn in front of her eyes.
2. See off Myrcella: The scene from Season 2 where Myrcella was sent to Dorne by Tyrion was shot at the Pile Bay in Dubrovnik. Beautiful structures between the sea!
3. Littlefinger brainwashing Sansa: Peter Baelish plotting his evil plans with Sansa was shot here. When we first saw this path, we could picture Litterfinger walking towards Sansa & Shae.
4. Red Keep: Fort Lovrijenac, situated in Dubrovnik, is the official Red Keep where the Iron throne rests. Cersei rules it at the end of season 6, what happens when Khaleesi reaches Westeros? We will find that out in upcoming seasons.
5.Robert’s Bastard kids: The cruel scene of season 2 where the King Robert’s Bastard kids were killed by Cersei’s men was shot at the foot of Fort Lovrijenac.
6. Torturing of the common man: The scene where Cersei's men are torturing commoners to find out where is Gendry is actually shot inside Minceta Tower on the City walls. Trivia - The exterior scenes of the house of undying were also shot at Minceta Tower.
7. Where are my dragons: Minceta tower located within the City walls of Dubrovnik represents the House of Undying. Daenerys's dragons are caged here by the Spice King and with the clues, she had to find them.
8.Blackwater Defense strategy discussion: At the top of the city walls of Dubrovnik, Tyrion and Varys discussed the battle strategy to defeat Stannis.
9. Joffrey's name day ceremony: The inside of Fort Lovrijenac is mesmerising with the view of the entire Adriatic sea.This marks the scene of Joffrey’s name day ceremony where Sansa saves the fool who eventually helps her flee King’s Landing.
10. Power is Power: Another part of the Fort Lovrijenac has been used to shoot the scene between Little Finger and Cersei where she shows her true Power to him. Truly Cersei’s powers could not be doubted but George R Martin had something else in mind.
11. Tyrion needs protection: After the black water battle, Tyrion is trying to convince Bronn to protect him in the 1st episode of Season 3.
12. Walk of Atonement: Cersei’s atonement to her sins was the biggest highlight of season 5. This scene was shot at these very steps of the old town.
13. Insult of Royal family: The scene where the common man is making fun of the Lannisters was also shot in the old town of Dubrovnik.
14. Streets of King’s Landing: The Pile Gate in Dubrovnik was used to shot the royal procession of Joffery where he is attacked by the starving people of King’s Landing. We hoped Joffery got few more slaps and stabs but were glad to see The Hound save Sansa.
15. Dragons are caged: The basement of the Diocletian Palace is used for shooting where the two dragons Rhaego and Viserion are caged. Tyrion and Varys attempt to be friendly with them in Season 6.
16. The death of Ser Barristan: Ser Barristan-The Bold died saving the unsullied (Grey Worm) when they were ambushed by Son's of Harpy. The scene was very well shot in Diocletian Palace.
17. The girl is no one: The port near to Kastle Basilica is where Arya Stark sells clams, oysters and cockles. This is a port area located around 12 km from the main bus stand of Split.
18. Fortress of Klis: The famous march towards Meeren by Daenerys and her unsullied where she sees young children being crucified on the roads. She avenges by crucifying the masters and thus starts a rule in Meeren.
We tried to cover as many places as we could in our tour however we definitely must have missed out a lot of spots. Every place and street made us think if this was part of the series. We could picturise Cersei, Tyrion, Joffrey Sansa in every corner of the old town of Dubrovnik.
We loved the thrill of all this and felt closer to the characters and the amazing series of GAME OF THRONES. Do let us know your views in the comments section below.
To know more about Croatia check out our other blogs in Croatia section.